Saturday, January 9, 2010

Awesome T-shirt!!


The Stooges have slowly gained popularity as a groundbreaking and influential rock band. As history has been written, they're credited as the origin of punk. Obviously, it wasn't as if they just showed up, and then punk rock was made official. In everything, it develops over time, and arguments ensue over when something really began. But the Stooges became this legend because they exploded out of the Detroit music scene(Ann Arbor, really), and had a primal, aggressive, darker presence. There was attitude and danger with them, and they weren't popular. I describe their record "Funhouse" as a 'symphony of noise.' From the moment "Down on the Street" revs its engine, it doesn't let up for about four songs. It doesn't really have a message, doesn't preach, just stomps and howls. It's more weird than inviting, a 180 turn from most of the music of the late 60s.

Here's the thing, though. I have an awesome Stooges t-shirt, found deep within the rack at a tiny shop I forget the name to, is now closed, and was in Wrigleyville, Chicago. It fits perfectly, is short-sleeved and has red lining on the sleeves and neck, has a great band shot with none of them smiling...but it's white. I haven't worn it in about three years because I live in fear I'll mess it up spilling coffee or splashing too hard through a puddle of mud. (Puddle of Mudd is an awful band, btw.)

You know what I'm talking about here, when I say even the wrong deodorant can mess up a white shirt. Hey, don't lift those arms!

What's the point of having an awesome tee you never wear? I was treated like I WAS the rock star just for wearing it. People would get off at their bus-stop and let it be known they approved of it. Kids who could be Iggy Pop's great-great grandson would get off their skateboards to pay respect. My baseball shirt with that Andy Warhol/Velvet Underground banana on it has been doing fine all this time, and it's white. It's time to live it up, take a chance.

Seriously, though, please comment back with any advice should I mess up the Stooges t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment